December 20th, 2012
7 Reasons Why Gluten Is Bad For You
Written by Ka Sundance
Gluten is a protein molecule commonly found in grains like rye, wheat, and barley. It is found in almost every variety of bread, cereal, or grain. Most types of bread contain this protein. People who prefer to avoid gluten fall in two categories–either they’re allergic (this is known as Celiac disease) or because they believe it will lead to health problems. Problem is that so many people are allergic to gluten and they don´t even know it!
This is why we as The Rawfoodfamily have excluded gluten from our diet altogether.
The easiest way to avoid this protein is to not eat foods that contain it, or to eat very little of them.
Why Gluten is bad for you:
1. “Gluten” does sound like “glue” for a reason! – Gluten is found mainly in wheat products such as bread. Have you noticed that when you put the bread in your mouth it acts like glue as you chew it, as it is very sticky. Imagine what it’s doing to your stomach then and especially to your colon! It’s totally clogging up your colon and hindering free flow in your gut, slowing down your digestive system, creating constipation and sticking to your gut walls like glue. So, overall it’s not a good thing to be putting in your body!
2. Gluten contains gut-irritating “lectins” and mineral-binding “phytates” – Gluten is binding up the minerals that you consume through other foods. It binds them and prevents your body from absorbing and extracting them from the food. As a result, gluten prevents the absorption of very important minerals for your body, thereby setting up long-term mineral deficiencies.
3. Opioid peptides found in wheat- This is the substance found in morphine & other really heavily addictive drugs. That’s why some people say it is so hard to stay away from bread as wheat is such a heavily addictive substance that forces you to eat more than you usually would. As a result eating wheat can be highly dangerous for some people.
4. Gluten causes gut inflammation – 80% of people create antibodies against the protein that is extracted out of the gluten molecule of the wheat. Meaning that an overwhelming proportion of the population who consume gluten in wheat and other grains are allergic to it. This weakens and slows down your immune system, as 80% of your immune system resides in your gut.
5. Antibodies – Your body creates antibodies against the gluten protein. These same antibodies have been shown to attack heart tissues which relates to heart disease as they attack your heart and cause many related problems.
6. Gluten can support the formation of cancer cells – Gluten has been strongly associated with creating cancer cells (especially with people suffering from Celiac disease), and there are many case studies that prove this. So even if gluten doesn’t directly cause the cancer, it still provides the foundation for cancer cells to build in your system. Gluten protein clogs up your system, de-mineralizing and hindering your body from absorbing minerals in the best way, leading to an overall weakening of your physiology. Gluten also weakens your immune system meaning that your body is less able to fight cancer cells if you eat a lot of pasta and bread every day.
Wheat Germ Agglutinin – WGA – is a sugar-binding protein lectin that protects the wheatgerm from insects, yeast and bacteria. WGA, when consumed in excess, demineralizes the body and causes Vitamin D stores to deplete abnormally fast leading to Vitamin D deficiency with accompanying issues such as weakening of the bones, a weakened immune system and a vulnerability to infectious diseases and bacterial attacks.
- Gluten has also been associated with Schizophrenia as a possible cause or at least as a promoter of the disease. Schizophrenics often see their symptoms reduce a lot when wheat is removed from their diet.
- Gliadin, the main problem-causing gluten protein molecule is similar in structure to other proteins found in tissues of such organs such as the thyroid or the pancreas. This means that antibodies being produced by the body against Gliadin can end up attacking these organs and ultimately cause autoimmune diseases like hypothyroidism and Type 1 Diabetes.
A note on de-mineralization
De-mineralization of the body is already an issue for most people if they are not eating an organic diet. Conventional farming already only replaces nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus (and only in a synthetic form) back into the soil – so that the plants look OK but are severely mineral-deficient – we actually need approximately 80 trace minerals in the soil for food grown in it to be complete and healthy! Without minerals our bodies cannot use vitamins or make hormones and many other metabolic processes are also disrupted. De-mineralization is at the root cause of every single disease. So any food further de-mineralizing the body should be avoided as far as possible!
I hope this article has helped answer the question, “Is gluten bad for you?” But if you still aren’t sure then keep looking deeper into it. It’s hard for people to give up their favorite foods such as breads and pastas, but unfortunately they’re simply not good for you and in the long-term they’re going to make you sick. Focus instead on eating a diet full of protein, vegetables, fruits and healthy essential fats. This is the way our bodies were made to eat and if we’re not following this path then we’re going the wrong way and asking for trouble.
You will find some more tips and also more information on why gluten is bad for you in the video below…
by Ka Sundance
Here are some links for you to other websitesand cas studies proving the danger of gluten: